Submitted by fennellc on Wed, 12/09/2020 - 10:44
The post briefly describes the migration process and what you can expect on your migration day. These instructions will be included in reminder emails the day-before and day-of your migration.
Quick Take (TLDR):
- If you do not have an Exchange mailbox, one will be created for you the morning on your scheduled migration. The mailbox will be available roughly one hour after the migration begins.
- You won't lose any of your email addresses/aliases!
- IMAP mailbox = @science or @dept mailbox
- Forwarding is automatically set from IMAP to Exchange.
- Outlook users should make a backup of their mailbox to preserve locally stored contacts and calendar events (instructions in the detailed outline).
- Exchange web-access and configuration instructions: <https://is.oregonstate.edu/exchangeonline>
General Migration Process:
1. Verify you can access and send from your Exchange mailbox using the web-interface, your preferred mail clients, and mobile devices.
2. You receive an email alerting you that your migration is starting.
3. New messages deliver to your Exchange mailbox and your IMAP mailbox is set to read-only. Only send from Exchange from this point forward.
4. Messages stored in your IMAP mailbox are copied to your Exchange mailbox, preserving the folder structure.
5. You receive an email notifying you that your migration is complete.
6. Your IMAP mailbox is disabled one week after the migration.
Messages sent from your IMAP account after the migration starts will not be synced. Please ensure all your devices are configured to send from Exchange. Mail clients other than Outlook will warn you that messages sent from IMAP cannot be saved. Outlook will create a local copy of the message that will not be synced.
Please see the following link for a detailed outline and post-migration notes: <https://cosine.oregonstate.edu/eol-migration-notification-opt-in-details>.